SkinPen Microneedling is a state-of-the-art and medical-grade device used during microneedling sessions to minimize the appearance of fine lines, moderate-to-severe wrinkles, deep folds, and scars all over the body. The SkinPen® has a long and proven safety record since it was the first microneedling device to attain FDA approval. It is now the gold standard of microneedling.
How Does SkinPen Microneedling Work?
The SkinPen Microneedling treatment works through gentle glides occurring over the skin from tiny surgical needles that create hundreds of microscopic channels into the skin’s dermis. Since the skin has a particular way of responding to and healing from injury, this natural healing process can be beneficial when controlled. SkinPen Microneedling and its needle cycle are at 100+ stamps per second, potentially creating 1600+ micro channels per second when moving the SkinPen Microneedling device.
As the skin heals, collagen and elastin get created, making and keeping the skin as firm, plump, and youthful as possible. Several factors may affect the body’s production of collagen, and elastin, such as acne, age, UV exposure, and other lifestyle behaviors. The SkinPen Microneedling procedure helps control the injury’s rate and depth, progressively encouraging the new production of elastin and collagen, leaving the skin smoother and healthier after a given period.
What Are Its Benefits?
Since the SkinPen Microneedling device creates controlled micro-injuries, it triggers the release of cytokines and known growth factors, leading to the remodeling of components such as collagen and elastin. Some expected benefits are as follows:
- Effectiveness on all body parts, such as the face, the neck, and the décolletage
- Improvement in acne scarring appearance
- Manageable recovery time
- Minimally invasive procedure performed in-office
- Reduction of the signs of aging, skin texture, fine lines, and wrinkles
- Safe for every skin type – light to dark
- Stimulates the collagen and elastin production without the use of heat or chemicals
- Little to no downtime and can be completed in as few as three treatments to see results
- The highly effective delivery mechanism for Natural Growth Factor Injections
What To Expect During A SkinPen® Procedure?
The SkinPen® procedure could not be easier but performed as an outpatient procedure in the office. To reduce discomfort, a topical numbing cream will be applied to the treatment area. In fact, the microneedles in the SkinPen® are so fine that most patients find the procedure very bearable.
Moreover, certain areas, such as around the mouth, are more sensitive, but, in general, only the vibration of the device can be felt as it moves across the treatment area. The procedure takes about 30 minutes; afterward, the skin may appear pink or “flushed.” Typically, this fades within 24 hours, and a difference will be seen immediately, and the skin will continue to improve in the next couple of months.
What Skin Conditions Does SkinPen Microneedling Address?
- Trauma scars
- Acne scars
- Surgical scars
- Severe Hyperpigmentation
- Dark spots
- Rough skin
- Uneven skin tone
- Dry skin
- Enlarged pores
- Moderate to severe wrinkles
- Fine lines
Is The SkinPen Treatment Painful?
Since the treatment area will be numbed using numbing cream, most people report that the treatment itself is quite relaxing. After the procedure, the skin will feel a little tight and sometimes slightly hot. However, some home care post-procedural pack given by the provider contains a cooling gel to help with this.
Who Should Not Use The SkinPen Microneedling?
While SkinPen has a long and proven safety record, patients with the following conditions should not receive the treatment:
- pregnant or nursing
- allergic to stainless steel or anesthetics; a hemorrhagic (bleeding) disorder or hemostatic (bleeding) dysfunction
- active skin cancer in the treatment area
- are currently taking drugs with the ingredient isotretinoin (such as Accutane)
- sores, open wounds, or irritated skin
How Soon Will You See The Result?
Within a week of the first treatment, initial results can be seen, but since the skin conditions often being treated—acne scars, stretch marks, fine lines, and hyperpigmentation—are often rooted deep in the dermis, optimal results can take longer. Additionally, the body’s skin-rejuvenating repair process also takes time.
However, it will do so after a series of treatments. It is recommended to have continued maintenance, which might mean doing a SkinPen treatment quarterly or biannually to maximize and extend results.
How Long Do Results Last?
The SkinPen results will last as long as the collagen does, so this will vary from person to person, depending on age, genetics, sun exposure, lifestyle, and more. Most often, patients will enjoy the results for 6-12 months.
What Does Recovery Look Like?
Total healing time depends on each patient. It is best not to plan any significant events 1-2 days after the procedure. Most people can return to work the day after treatment.
However, most patients should expect the following:
- Day 1. There can be mild to moderate redness, similar to a sunburn. Possible mild swelling, bruising, and slight pinpoint bleeding. The skin may feel tight and warm.
- Day 2. Fading but some persistent redness easily covered with make-up. Skin dryness and slight flaking might be experienced.
- Day 3. Most bruising, redness and swelling should be nearly gone. (Provigil 200mg)
Many patients recover entirely within 24 hours. If the neck is treated, it may take longer to heal. Pigmented areas may darken before they grow lighter if they have a darker skin type.
Is There An Aftercare?
- Avoid direct sunlight
- Avoid heat, tanning beds, hot baths, and showers while the skin is experiencing redness
- No exfoliation to the treated skin yet for at least 72 hours
- Avoid working out for 2-3 days
- No make-up for at least 24 hours
- Wait 2-3 days to return to a regular skincare routine
The Bottom Line
SkinPen is the first FDA-cleared microneedling device to generate collagen levels and provides maximum radiance-enhancing results. Viva Vitality offers SkinPen Microneedling, the first microneedling device approved by the FDA that’s clinically proven to safely and effectively stimulate the body’s natural wound healing phases, treat acne scars, allowing the skin to heal, Rejuvenate, and rejuvenate. Get the replenished, picture-perfect skin you’ve always yearned for.